- Speaker, Civil Procedure, Murchison & Cumming’s Year in Review, 2010
- Pluggin the App Info Leak, The Recorder, April 19, 2012 (Rich Kellner and Anastasia Mazzella)
- Going Beyond Workers’ Compensation for Injured Employees: A Look at the Common Exceptions to California’s Exclusive Remedy Rule, Advocate, January 2014 (Brian Kabateck and Anastasia Mazzella)
Partner, Anastasia Mazzella is a seasoned litigator with expertise in employment litigation, class actions, mass torts, personal injury and consumer protection laws. In addition to managing a caseload, she works closely with the Managing Partner and the Management Team to develop and implement firm policies, practices, procedures, staffing, and oversees the law and motion practice and intake department.
Prior to joining Kabateck LLP, Ms. Mazzella spent five years as a litigator at a civil defense firm where she focused on motion and appellate work. As a defense litigator, Ms. Mazzella researched, drafted and successfully argued over one hundred motions and briefs, in both state and federal courts, in a variety of areas, including products liability, employment, business litigation, professional liability and consumer protection laws. Ms. Mazzella served as a judicial extern for the Honorable S. James Otero of the United States District Court during law school and as Editor in Chief of the Loyola Law Review.
Ms. Mazzella most recently helped secure a confidential six-figure settlement from Clayton Valley Charter High School on behalf of a female student who was sexually assaulted by a male student on the school’s campus. In addition, she has also helped secure a $1,350,000 settlement on behalf of a young mother who was catastrophically injured after her car was hit by Riverside Transit bus. In a case involving catastrophic injuries, Anastasia reached a $925,000 settlement on behalf of her client who was injured after an employee of Hylkema Roofing Company struck her vehicle.
In cases involving school sexual assaults, Anastasia represented a female student who was assaulted by a male student at the Animo Venice Charter High School campus. She also represented a student who was sexually abused as a minor by a teaching assistant against Fresno Unified School District. In both cases, Anastasia secured a confidential six-figure settlement.
In a case involving partnership liability disputes, Anastasia secured a $750,000 settlement on behalf of a bankruptcy debtor seeking contribution from OOCL and OOCL Logistics on a partnership liability theory.
Ms. Mazzella has also obtained a $2.1 million settlement in a medical malpractice case involving a premature infant who was born at 28 weeks gestational age. Days after being discharged from the NICU in good health, he was brought back to the hospital in distress and assessed by a pediatric ER physician who later sent him home, attributing his symptoms to colic. The next day the plaintiff went into cardiac arrest and was airlifted to the hospital where he was diagnosed with late-onset group B streptococcal infection and Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy. It was undisputed that the child had severe brain damage, would never be able to work or engage in any meaningful conversation, and would require supervision for the rest of his life.
Ms. Mazzella currently sits on the Board of Governors of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL).
Ms. Mazzella is licensed to practice in California as well as all districts of the United States District Court in California.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- Loyola Law Review, Editor-in-Chief, June 2005- May 2006
- Loyola Law Review, Staff Member, July 2004 – May 2005
- Otto Kaus Award for Outstanding Achievement in Legal Research, Writing and Editing, 2006
- First Honors Award in Legal Research & Writing, May 2004
- Loyola Scholarship Recipient 2003-2006
PUBLICATIONS & FORUMS
Advocate, Class Certification and Warranty Claims: The Implications of Class Certification Requirements in California State and Federal District Courts for Breach of Warranty Claims in Products-Defect Class Actions (June 2020).
- Advocate, Going beyond Workers’ Compensation for injured employees (January 2014)
- The Recorder, Plugging the App Info Leak (April 2012)
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Admitted to California State Bar, December 2006
- Admitted to all U.S. District Courts of California, December 2006
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- CalPoly Pomona Program Advisor; Women in Leadership
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, Juris Doctor, May 2006
University of California, Los Angeles, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, June 2001