- Consumer Attorney Association of Los Angeles (CAALA)
- Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC)
- Mexican American Bar Association (MABA)
- Latina Lawyers Bar Association (LLBA)
- Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles (WLALA)
Nidya Gutierrez is an Associate at Kabateck LLP with experience providing litigation support to the firm’s robust trial team.
Ms. Gutierrez received her law degree from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles where she received First Honors in Mediation Advocacy for Litigators and was an inaugural team member of the International Chamber of Commerce Mediation Moot Competition held in Paris, France. Ms. Gutierrez was also a national quarterfinalist at the Hispanic National Bar Association Moot Court Competition. She received high honors in Appellate Advocacy, Cross-Examination Intensive Workshop, and Fundamentals of Juvenile Sentencing.
During law school, Ms. Gutierrez was a certified law clerk with Loyola’s Center for Juvenile Law and Policy (CJLP) where she represented indigent defendants before California Superior Courts who are serving life sentences for crimes committed as juveniles. She helped draft an extensive Habeas Corpus Petition based on innocence claims for a juvenile client and argued a Petition for Resentencing before the Los Angeles County Superior Court.
Ms. Gutierrez served as federal judicial extern for the Honorable André Birotte Jr., a district court judge for the Central District of California. She also externed for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF), a leading civil rights organization, where she worked on impact litigation and class action cases.
Outside of the courtroom, Nidya volunteers for the Young Lawyers Program, providing mentoring that exposes youth to the benefits of continuing education beyond high school. She also volunteers for the CARA Pro Bono Project, which provides legal services for the children and women incarcerated at a Texas detention center.
Prior to law school, Ms. Gutierrez graduated with honors from the University of California, Los Angeles.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIP
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles. J.D., 2019
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A. Political Science and Civic Engagement, College Honors and Departmental Honors, June 2014
- Spanish (fluent)
- Daily Journal, How New Lawyers Can Survive and Thrive in the Uncharted Era of COVID-19. (June 5, 2020)
- Daily Journal, For-ProfitColleges Face Yet Another Day of Reckoning (December 31, 2019)