As a nationally recognized and respected consumer attorney, Brian Kabateck is a preeminent leader in the fight to ensure access to the justice system. He’s a powerful advocate in the courtroom and at the California State Capitol for consumers’ rights and protections.
Mr. Kabateck’s vigorous litigation on behalf of his clients has netted more than a billion dollars in recoveries. He has won many multi-million dollar verdicts, judgments and settlements in the areas of personal injury, insurance bad faith, pharmaceutical litigation, wrongful death, class action, mass torts and disaster litigation.
Because of his deep knowledge of the law and dynamic speaking style, Mr. Kabateck is a frequent analyst for national, local and legal media outlets. He makes regular appearances on CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and CW stations. In addition to his television exposure, Mr. Kabateck often speaks at seminars, law schools and industry events.
As the former President of the Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC), Mr. Kabateck drew on his strong leadership abilities to bring change to some of the state’s most contentious problems. Under his direction, he brokered a consensus on issues including protecting patient safety and court funding. He has worked tirelessly with the California Legislature and California Department of Insurance to draft many laws for some of the state’s largest industries.
Mr. Kabateck’s ability to straddle the legal and political world has made him a strategic and outspoken advocate for consumer and patient rights. In November, voters will decide whether to overturn the decades old MICRA law which caps non-economic damages at $250,000. Mr. Kabateck is a leader in the fight to lift this outdated and misguided law that deprives the state’s most vulnerable victims from getting the compensation they deserve in medical malpractice cases.
Mr. Kabateck has extensive experience in all judicial forums throughout California. He has argued cases before the California State Supreme Court, California Court of Appeal, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Daily Journal Top 100 Lawyer in California: 2009-2017
- Daily Journal Top 30 Plaintiff Lawyer in California: 2016-2017
- Daily Journal Top 25 Plaintiff Lawyer in California: 2015-2016
- Finalist, Trial Lawyer of the Year, Consumer Attorneys of California: 2005, 2010, 2012, 2014
- Winner, Marvin E. Lewis Award, Consumer Attorneys of California: 2014
- 50 Inspirational Alumni, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles: 2014
- Capitol Weekly’s Top 100: 2013
- Southern California SuperLawyer, Top 100 in Southern California: 2012, 2013
- Finalist, Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Trial Lawyer of the Year: 2012
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 in California: 2010 to present
- Top 100 Influential Trial Lawyers in the United States: 2011 to present
- NAACP’s ‘Champions of Justice in Civil Rights’: 2010
- Loyola Law School 2008 Board of Governors Recognition Service Award
- California Attorney of the Year, Litigation – California Lawyer Magazine: 2006
- Finalist, Law Dragon 500
Los Angeles County Bar Association
- President- 2018
- Trustee- 2000 to 2003, 2006 to 2007
American Board of Trial Advocates
- Member – 2015
Consumer Attorneys of California
- President – 2012 to 2013
- President-Elect – 2011 to 2012
- Vice President – 2007 to 2011
Loyola Law School
- Chairman, Board of Directors – 2015 to present
- Member, Board of Directors – 2008 to 2015
Century City Bar Association
- President – 2005 to 2006
- President-elect, Vice President, Treasurer – 2001 to 2005
Inner City Law Center
- Board of Directors – 2009 to present
National Trial Lawyers Association
- Executive Committee – 2011 to present
Neighborhood Legal Services
- Board of Director – 2000 to present
State Bar of California
American Association for Justice
American Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Torts Insurance Practices Section – 2007 to 2012
American Association for Justice – 2013
United Cerebral Palsy of Los Angeles, Ventura & Santa Barbara Counties
- Board Member
Loyola Law School
- J.D. – 1989
- Honors: Cum Laude, Order of the Coif
- Law Review
University of Southern California
- o B.A. Political Science – 1985
“I have been in a Construction Defect case for almost 5 years. I was with two different law firms, spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and got no result until I was referred to the outstanding lawyers at KBK.
My case was going no-where fast but under the expert leadership of Brian Kabateck, the whole firm quickly aligned to my situation and I must say the end result was no less than staggering. The results speak volumes. I can easily say that I’m blown away by the professionalism, quality of work, knowledge, and commitment of KBK. I highly recommend them and urge anyone who really wants to win to seek their council. Thank you KBK!”
– Construction Defect Client